Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Finally, an area I am actually qualified to opine on.

Here's something I DEFINITELY know a lot about: the cost of suing or being sued. Not because I, personally, am always suing someone... well, I am, so that's one way I know... but because I am a (drum roll, please): LAWYER.

Lawsuits cost a lot of money. While some can be handled on a contingent fee basis (that is, "you don't pay unless we win,") most are not, and even the contingent fee cases require that a client pay 'costs,' things like copying charges, filing fees, witness fees, and the like. I've seen lawsuits that cost upwards of $100,000.

And lots of times, your opponent is an insurance company or other big-time defendant that has the money and time to wait you out, making it too expensive to sue and then lowballing you on a settlement.

A good lawsuit funding company can change that dynamic. Lawsuitfunding.com has information about this and how it can help you. You'll have to check with your own lawyer to make sure it's ethical and legal in your area, but begin first at LawsuitFunding.com -- by giving them a little information, you can find out if you're eligible to get help with your suit; and with that help you'll be on a level playing field and can make sure that your case goes as far as it deserves, instead of being pressured to end it because of the cost.

No comments: