Friday, September 12, 2008

A Closer Look At... All Those Lion Sleeps Tonight Videos

I'm not sure exactly what "Beat boxing" is supposed to be. It sounds to me like when we were kids and we'd pretend to be rappers and would make scratching sounds with our mouths, and while I am very open minded about what constitutes "art" (I'll include pretty much anything except stuff created by Ethan Hawke, and opera), I am not 100% sure that "beat boxing" should be included.

Then again, this is actually not terrible:



And it also proves the incredible reach of that song -- that a beat boxer who almost could be from the inner city could bond with it over a guy who hosts some kind of morning show indicates that the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" has exactly the kind of awesome power I ascribe to it.

RELATED: What kind of power does the song have? This kind of power.

Also: The Lion Sleeps Tonight as an indie rocker, as a sitcom sing-along, as a family band song, and as a song by a group I have a tenuous connection with.

No comments: