Friday, April 03, 2009

The Best Fake Musical (Reader Nomination)


Reader and Blogger Extraordinaire Scott, writer of Husbands Anonymous and Kevin-quizzer does not limit himself to writing parts of books about parenting. He also has a great ability to recall a musical that was only seen after the credits of a kids' movie.

Scott, in response to my nomination of Hamlet 2 as The Best Fake Musical In A Real Movie, said this:

I once heard a novelist say that there are only three plot lines to ANY story- but I'm damned if I can remember them. Love? Death and something?And in advertising, it has to be sex, children or animals.

I liked the brief fake musical in Monsters Inc, when Mike is pretending to practice for it, so that he doesn't get caught out for something else.Sorry. My memory isn't good.But I did love your post, it provoked me.

Scott, you probably heard me say that about the plotlines: I reviewed the idea of the 7 Basic Plotlines of literature and storytelling here.

But I had completely forgotten about the Monsters, Inc., musical, which seems impossible because I have watched that movie 1 hundred kajillion times since the Babies! were born, and I like to go to the credits scene and watch the actual musical they made for the company.

So I've decided to call that comment a nomination, and there you go: Scott nominates "The Monsters, Inc. Company Musical" as The Best Fake Musical In A Real Movie-- which nomination, I note, somewhat undercuts my theory that fake musicals only appear in real movies when the real movies themselves are rather mundane and unoriginal, but if I abandoned every opinion I had just because "evidence" and "facts" and "reality" undercut it, I wouldn't believe anything anymore.

I couldn't find the actual musical after the credits, but here's where they rehearse it:
Readers: see how easy it is to get your own nomination in here? Post them in a comment, or email me at thetroublewithroy[at]yahoo.com. Or look me up on Facebook by clicking here. You know you think stuff is The Best, so let me know: after all, it gets you a plug, too, and every now and then I'm so impressed by a nomination that I give away some free stuff (just ask!)


Click here to see all the Whodathunkits?!!

Click here to see all the SemiDaily Lists!

Click here to see all the MiniBests!

Click here to see all the other topics I’ve ever discussed!

2 comments:

Squidsquirts said...

Mental note to self:
Scott- next time you comment ANYWHERE, make sure that you haven't had ANY wine.

Le Yo said...

"All novels have one of two plots: someone goes on a trip or a stranger comes to town." - John Gardner