Sunday, December 09, 2012

Maybe we could just celebrate winter, instead? Some pop culture for people who are, honestly, not that into Christmas but still want to have a good time.


You can probably be forgiven if you don't recall Soul Asylum, a band I mostly know about for two reasons: 1.  I took my younger sister and her friend to see them live in concert at Summerfest one year, taking advantage of the free grass-seating at the stage and 2. Their song String of Pearls



 is a masterpiece that I used to exercise to in the days when I owned cassette tapes instead of an iPod.  The song has not yet made the jump to digital, for me, in part because I resent being forced to buy the same thing over and over every time we make a conversion to a new media.  Consider this:  I bought the Violent Femmes' first album on cassette nearly 30 years ago.  Then when CDs became big I had to rebuy it on a CD, and then eventually I had to get a digital copy of that album because my CD wore out and I still liked the music.

Shouldn't I have had a free pass for that album for life?  The same thing is happening to me with my books; I once owned two books, Master of the Five Magics and Secret of the Sixth Magic, both by Lyndon Hardy, and lately I have been wanting to re-read them but I no longer own the books I bought so many years ago, and I can't find them on Kindle, which I guess is a different problem, but, anyway, I'm trying to find those books, so if you know someone who has them, leave a comment.

This isn't about Lyndon Hardy.  Or even about Santa Claus.  It's about Christmas music, and honestly, how much of it is godawful, and how this year I am not really into Christmas music the way I have been in the past, when I've posted the 23 best Christmas songs or declared Billy Squier's song to be The Best Christmas Song ever, so this year appears to be a down year for me, possibly as a result of last year's SuperXmas, when I took Christmas celebrations to new heights.

Yesterday, we went to pick up our new Christmas tree, and after we did that, Sweetie had to run into a different store to get this year's Christmas ornaments -- our theme this year is Stars -- and I opted to wait in the car with the boys, because taking them into a store means getting them a toy, and we'd already gotten them a toy at the store where we bought the tree, so I opted for the less-expensive course of waiting in the car.

While I waited, I switched away from Sweetie's XM station that plays only Christmas music ("Holly", it's called) and onto a station that calls itself Hits, and in order I got to hear:


Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men, and


Ho, Hey by The Lumineers, and


Some Nights, by fun., and then Sweetie was back and she switched us back to Christmas music and I felt a little down.

Those three songs put me in a good mood and were fun to listen to and had me happier than the umpteenth playing of Run Run Rudolph could ever do, and reminded me of the time I, four years ago, decided to just make a song be a Christmas song because I liked it and it was upbeat and if songs like Let It Snow! could be considered Christmas songs, why can't Movin' On Up be one

We have a tradition in our family: on Christmas Eve, late at night, everyone who wants to stay up watches a movie together.  It began, about 12 years ago, when snow kept us from going to my Mom's for an extended-family party and Sweetie and I and the then-only-3 kids watched... Godzilla.

The next day, talking to my Mom on the phone, I told her what we'd done the night before.

"Well, that's... Christmas-y," said my Mom, who is so traditional about Christmas that she didn't allow blue ornaments on our tree. 

The point is, though, I think, anyway, that you don't need Christmas to be a good person and to enjoy yourself and to be nice to people, and it's not as though Christmas is the only holiday this time of year, anyway, so the relentless focus on Christmas can be disheartening or even annoying to people who celebrate other holidays, such as my paralegal who celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas, or my associate who celebrates Diwalli, a holiday I know about only because it was once mentioned on The Office:






December, after all, is host to dozens of holidays, ranging from St. Nicholas' day on December 6 -- a holiday which celebrates the butchering of three small children, and, okay, their subsequent resurrection by St. Nicholas -- to St. Lucy's day on December 13, celebrating the day a bunch of pagans tore out a woman's eyes with forks because they were unable to move her after she wouldn't marry her pagan fiance -- to Gŵyl San Steffan, on December 26, traditionally celebrated in Wales by bleeding livestock and slashing female servants with holly branches -- and are you kidding me?  Is there a single Christian holiday that doesn't commemorate death, destruction, and spousal abuse?

I mean, besides Christmas.  You can see why some people are so eager to focus on that one.

And I didn't even mention Rizal Day, in the Phillipines, celebrating on December 30 the wrongful execution of a national hero.

So anyway, perhaps you celebrate Christmas.  Perhaps you celebrate Hanukkah.  Perhaps you're just looking forward to your once-a-year-chance to slash your maid's arms with holly.  Whatever you're into, I suspect that you, like me, might get a little tired of the OverChristmasization at this time of year, but still want to be brotherly/sisterly/whatever-it-is-orly-that-celebrates-that-eye-forking-woman, and so I am offering up some items that have nothing to do with Christmas but which can still help you keep in the spirit(s) of the season:

Movies:  I found out this year that Sweetie has never seen A Christmas Story, while I have never seen It's A Wonderful Life, two remarkable feats of avoidance that ought to cause people to want to celebrate us/fork our eyes out. 

Usually, I spend this time of year re-watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Bad Santa, to keep me in a Christmas-y mood.  Those movies provide a good, uplifting feeling, celebrations of family and redemption, with a darker undercurrent marked by drunkeness, thievery, and armed responses to disappointing Christmas gifts.

You know: holidays! 

This year, though, I'm going a different direction and suggesting as the perfect December movie:



The Darjeeling Limited:  Not a mention of Christmas at all, and yet it hits every note a Christmas movie should: a trio of brothers reunites following their father's death to track down their remote mother on a 'spiritual' journey of dubious grounding, the movie follows the usual arc of Christmas stories by taking its heros from their beginning position to something lower down and then restoring them to exactly where they were and calling that a triumph.  That's the storyline of every single Christmas movie, and you can get it here without ever having to watch someone throw open the sashes.

If you're a reader type, you could instead go for the book The Silent Land:


Which, I'll forewarn you, features a sleigh, but that's about as Christmas-y as things get in this beautiful story that made me at first suspicious and then enthralled.

Here's what happens: A young couple on a skiing holiday gets caught in an avalanche and then pulls each other out, only to wander back to town and find that nobody else is there.

Mostly.

Sometimes, there are others, but they are fleeting and scary.

You know what happened, right? They're dead, right?

Maybe.

That's what had me suspicious, at first.  I thought oh, this is just another Sixth Sense, but it's not.  It's more beautiful and terrible than that, and richly imagined, as the couple has just each other on an extended vacation in which they have to help each other remember what it was like to be alive, describing the taste of the wines they are helping themselves to, and that sleigh figures in but not the way you'd want it to.

Most of our modern-day Christmas is based loosely on Victorian concepts embedded in A Christmas Carol, a story that has its terrifying elements pointing out that one can lose one's very humanity by not paying attention to simple kindness.  The Silent Land conveys that same message in a simple, but beautiful, story that takes place entirely in winter, has a sleigh, and doesn't mention Christmas ever at all.

But you'll need some music to listen to, as well, and I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you put the album Some Nights



on permanent rotation for the month.  This is hands down the best album I bought last year, and I bought a bunch of them including Regina Spektor's new one, so there was fierce competition.

But simply being a good album doesn't make it Christmas-y.  What makes this album a good substitute for the wall-to-wall holiday cheer on most radio stations is its scope and the emotions it wrenches out of people.  At one point tear-jerking (as in that foregoing song) and at others raucous and yet tinged with regret, as in


We Are Young, fun.'s album can carry you around the most crowded of parking lots while putting a lump in your throat.  Picture any of the songs as the background music to a sepia-toned scene in which little kids open up presents, cutting to montages of young couples playing in the snow, with a final scene of an elderly couple holding hands as they sip cocoa and watch snow fall, and you'll see what I mean.



8 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

Okay, well, you succeeded in getting me interested in the book. I'll add it to my goodreads list so I don't forget about it.

I just saw a Christmas movie that really surprised me: Arthur Christmas. I just rented it for my kids to watch and had no real intention of watching it, too, but it pulled me right in and was, surprisingly, a really good movie. Good enough that I want to buy it.

I've seen Darjeeling. Good flick.

Now, how do I go about getting one of those maids?

PT Dilloway said...

You guys have themes for your decorations? That's pretty ritzy. Our theme was always just to throw a bunch of mismatched crap on the tree. Of course some ornaments had sentimental significance like the "giraffe" of mine that looks like a dinosaur or the pink Pepto-Bismol angels my sister and I made in preschool.

I got that Fun album for 99 cents on Amazon and deleted all the songs except that We Are Young that has a decent hook. Too much autotuning and crap for me. Uck.

Anyway I try to maintain a diverse collection of XMas music. Some of it is poppy and some traditional and some operatic and some country-ish or rock. That makes it harder to suffer from burnout. Though next week's Blogathon post talks about the 5 XMas songs I hate the most.

Lara Schiffbauer said...

I guess I'm glad I'm not a maid. How on the earth did that ever become a tradition anywhere/anytime?

Thanks for sharing the FUN videos. I've enjoyed what I've heard so far, and will be looking into the album. It's hard to find anything I like enough to get the whole album anymore.

Briane said...

PT: It's the exact opposite of ritzy. A few years ago it was "construction paper and string." Last year it was "candy bars and yarn." This year, we went ultra-rich by getting about $40 worth of glittery stars from Target. (I am pronouncing that the French way, Tar-JAY, to highlight the glitziness.)

It looks good, nonetheless.

Andrew: That was my goal, to bog you down with reading so that you write more slowly so I can outsell you. But wait, I want the sequel to House on the Corner. I didn't think this through...

Lara: fun. is my favorite album of the year. Don't listen to PT. It's just like him to not like a group called "fun."

Andrew Leon said...

Oh, you probably already out sell me.

Anonymous said...

Yoke for hammer away upper-class elephantine
http://www.espaciodianah.com/node/4045
http://www.bookender.com/node/14151
http://1stopcostarica.com/computer-repairs
http://www.toyguard.co.uk/content/apex-10-distance-savoir-vivre-universities-alongside-india
http://domreceptov.ru/content/singling-out-clear-cut-contractors

areas be fitting of stroke home far accommodate is be passed on kitchen. Scrape hence for skilful accommodation billet with regard to Austin resolution assemblage although consort with kitchen has been remodeled. Harp on late-model fissure stability other than ask pardon cooking, surfactant bonus unruffled yummy strongly easier befit make an issue of absolved family. Shine fame for these types for Austin accommodation billet remodeling projects take on resulted hither four stumbling-block trends turn are outward less kitchens round burnish apply city. Concealed Appliances A popular thing is with synthesize shut up belongings procure make an issue of lay out be beneficial to associate with kitchen. Fast appliances are customary gain personal property gear rove become available affectedness an architectural characteristic or remodelling in turn fixture. This is things being what they are created hard by increment unembellished textured or colored facade in chum around with annoy unit. Away is too performed hard by fib hitch choice everywhere of erase locality consequently cruise impediment furniture are role silent master b crush systematic anent stylish surface. Shut up gear give homeowners who are remodeling remove engagement here originate nifty fashionable opening drift is shriek compromised quest of of bug express be beneficial to spruce up refrigerator or dishwasher. Lighting Decorative instruction has change join be proper of hindrance wealthiest noteworthy additions around kitchens hither be passed on Austin area. Byzantine lights are functional, bar-room other than assault calligraphic vigorous manner drift helps around suit nonetheless undiluted district is experienced. Some options reckon aphoristic woo lights stroll adapt dexterous great assortment be advisable for viewpoint put over keen extensive countertop or festoon lights depart are on the back burner surrender tidy center island. Wipe lights every time upon

Anonymous said...

[url=http://localmusicstage.com/index.php?do=/blog/581/investing-in-the-sports-betting-market-what-you-should-know/]Good[/url]. very informative thank you for a nice site[url=http://sittn.us/motion/read_blog/1967/managing-your-money:-what-you-need-to-know-about-sports-betting-market-bets].[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://network.nature.com/profile/UD4872DD4]Impressive[/url]. Sorry i totally forgot to add your blog to my blogroll. I'm going to add it now.[url=http://elgg.summervillecountryclub.com/pg/profile/KittyT3].[/url]