Sunday, August 01, 2010

Welcome a New TBOE Reader!


I've converted many, many people to my way of thinking. They used to call that a "cult," or "being a Perotista." Nowadays, when you do something and everyone reads it and listens to you, it's called a blog and there's apparently no requirement that you ever provide "attribution.*" (*"attribution" means money in that context.)

That's true of the world's most popular blog, which Newsweek (note how I give my sources, Newsweek, and today's New Reader?) says is the most popular and profitable new media site around, and which Newsweek also says has staffers primarily sitting around a conference table grabbing news and photos and information from other sites -- so it's not so much a new business model as it is simply using other people's work, right?

And that new business model is alive and well at "old media" dinosaurs like Entertainment Weekly, which is making a push into e-media primarily by reading this blog and then using my ideas in their articles, as evidenced by this week's pop culture bullseye, which remains the most confusing* (*stupidest) pop culture survey ever invented.

Despite its confusingness* (*see foregoing asterisk), EW's Bullseye (again, see how I note my sources?) this week has one thing to commend it: It uses my idea. Specifically, it has an arrow pointing to some greasy-haired Axe Body Spray commercial extra, and alongside that guy is written:

While turning rock songs into choral numbers is great, turning them into symphonies is not. Please take note, David Garrett.

I don't know who David Garrett is; presumably he's the Axe guy shown in the picture. But I do know that not so very long ago -- okay, May 17, 2008 -- I wrote the post The Best Choral Version of A Pop Song, and in that post I made not only the now-famous observation that "Nirvana was simply the Bee Gees of the 90s" but also said that the dearth of choral versions of pop songs was a tragedy and celebrated how putting any pop song through a choir made it incomparably better than it had been.

So, welcome to the fold of new readers, EW writers. (Not you, Diablo Cody. I watched a few minutes of Juno again while in the hospital and even the sedation couldn't keep from repeatedly stabbing at the channel switch button.)

See who else reads this blog!

No comments: