Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ever want to strap on some rocket skates? No? What's the matter with you, are you sane or something?

I, in general, am a pretty passive TV watcher. I watch and I laugh or chuckle but rarely do more than that. Sometimes I'll look over at Sweetie or anyone else watching and share the moment with him.

But not everybody in my house is that way. Mr F, in particular, gets really excited by some stuff. We'll be watching a movie or TV show and he'll suddenly laugh so hard he has to get up and run over to his trampoline and start jumping.

Mr Bunches is more like me-- but he talks back to the TV, telling it things like No, no, no, or No don't or Ceranal.

Then there's The Boy. He has the most physical reactions of all. He jumps up, or sits down hard, or crosses his arms, or waves his hands around, or shakes his head. It's like watching an aerobics routine -- albeit an aerobics routine done in a sullen manner.

I bring this up because I broke my own behavioral mold today, thanks to something I guess is called the the truTV effect.

The truTV effect is hard to describe. It's all of these:




It's, I guess, that gut reaction that makes you shake your head or jerk your shoulders or otherwise react viscerally to what you're seeing, and it's cool.


Take the truTV show "Man Vs. Cartoon." That's a show where they recreate things that happened in cartoons. (That's kind of a personal dream of mine.) I found out about this show, and I watch it all the time now, and I can't sit still when I'm watching it. I see them trying rocket powered roller skates or spring-loaded steel plates, or other awesome cartoon tricks, and I have to run and get Sweetie, or shake my head ruefully, or just lean forward and hold my breath and think I can't believe they're actually going to do this. It's the best possible way to spend a Saturday night, and it leaves me feeling a little breathless (and a lot glad I didn't do those things.)

They say all the time on truTV that you oughta watch with caution, and they're right, because the stuff looks incredible, or painful, or incredible and painful, but mostly because everything they show is real and real amazing. Don't take it from me; take it from "World's Wildest Vacation Videos," which is where that guy gets bit on the mouth by a shark.

Check out more
truTV video for yourself, here and on truTV -- but be prepared for your own reaction.

Post?slot_id=44037&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: