Monday, December 20, 2010
The 20 Best Human Movie Villains (Guest List!)
As a break from all the Christmas-y stuff I've been posting, here's a guest list from The Boy, who in the true spirit of the holiday season, has spent his time not studying for exams at college but instead coming up with his list of The 20 Best (Human) Movie Villains.
As usual, with The Boy, there's no explanation -- so feel free to critique the list and / or provide your own. As I understand it, the primary criteria were (a) the person had to be a bad guy and (b) the person had to be a human being -- so Darth Vader, etc., were out.
Here you go! Happy Holidays!
20. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho.)
19. Kaiser Soze (The Usual Suspects.)
18. Apollo Creed (Rocky). [BLOGGER NOTE: Really? Was he a bad guy? What made him a bad guy? Because he wanted to win? Because he wasn't the underdog? Note to America: We haven't been the underdog for something like 110 years, so it's time we maybe start embracing the champions.]
17. Mr. Blonde/Vic Vega (Reservoir Dogs.)[BLOGGER NOTE: This movie was really overrated.]
16. Det. Alonzo Harris (Training Days.) [BLOGGER NOTE: As with all Denzel Washington characters, I just always thought of him as "Denzel Washington." So there was Denzel the Bad Detective, Denzel the Train Guy, Denzel The Reporter With Julia Roberts, Paralyzed Denzel, and so on.]
15. Elle Driver, (Kill Bill)[NOTE: The Boy had to explain to me that this was not "Legally Blonde."]
14. Owen Davian (Mission Impossible: 3)[NOTE: MI:3 was subtitled "Look What A Great Husband Tom Cruise Is")
13. Annie Wilkes (Misery).
12. Norman Bates (Psycho.)
11. Colonel Walter E. Kurtz (Apocalypse Now)
10. Elijah Price (Unbreakable.)
9. Longshanks- King Edward I (Braveheart.)
8. Commodus (Gladiator)
7. Amon Goeth (Schindler's List)
6. Jack Torrence. (The Shining)
5. John Doe (Seven)
4. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)
3. The Joker (The Dark Knight)
2. Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Gangs Of New York)
And the number one Best Human Movie Villain?
1. Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)