Friday, April 18, 2008

The Best Correction To The Correction Of A Lame Interpretation of A Song.


The controversy goes on! All the way back on Wednesday, I gave you "Come Sail Away" as The Best Plot Twist In A Song Which Makes A Lame Song Cool." I noted in that article that the angels/aliens maybe didn't take the guy with them because the singer says they climbed aboard their starships, not we climbed aboard.

Then, I corrected myself after having listened to the song again, and decided that in fact the singer explained that, no, he'd gone with the aliens, so everything was okay.

But then, I remembered that I'm never wrong, so I did some research -- research being Googling "Come Sail Away" lyrics. And this is what I found: nearly every website that I checked agreed with my original interpretation:

LyricsFreak.com says it's:

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies
Singing come sail away, come sail away

So does Seeklyrics.com and LyricsDepot.

But, again: Sing365.com has it as "We," as does StLyrics, although they quote the Eric Cartman version for some reason.

So at this point, I have no choice but to throw it up to Dennis DeYoung, who no doubt is an avid reader of The Best of Everything. As of today, I have submitted an OFFICIAL TBOE QUERY to him via his website, asking him this: Dennis, did you or didn't you get on that starship and head for the skies?

We'll settle this for once and for all. Stay tuned.

No comments: