Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Best Football Team: The Indianapolis Colts

A new nomination for The Best Football Team, this one a little more current than my last one.

I recently posted The Best Football Team as a recap article over on my Gather spot (and you should really go there to see my pictures; it’s the only place I put some of them.) And, not unexpectedly, I got some feedback on that. Feedback that I personally disagree with, for a couple of reasons.

1. The feedback did not wholeheartedly endorse the Bills as The Best Football Team, and I believe I’ve made my feelings clear on this subject, and

2. The feedback, in this case, chose a team that cost me two t-shirts this year in my annual Superbowl bet with The Boy and Sweetie. You can read more about that here.

Nonetheless, this is a democracy. Well, not a democracy because there’s no voting.
It’a a demo- something.


toothpaste for dinner
Thanks to: toothpastefordinner.com


One of you smart readers tell me what type of demo- this column is. In the meantime, I’ll get to the actual nomination.

The nomination is from Carol Lloyd, a friend on Gather. The first thing you see when you look at Carol’s profile is that she’s a Pink Floyd fan, so she ought to enjoy the companion article I’m posting today about The Best Concept Album. Carol also enjoys a good cheeseburger deluxe, and is lucky enough to live in Florida, so she’s not going around trying to convince herself that it’s a “good day” when it’s 35 degrees on March 10, like I am. And, Carol has posted a recipe for cupcakes that makes me think both that I have to try it and that if I do it’s unlikely I’ll ever get back into my favorite pair of jeans.

Carol nominates the Indianapolis Colts as The Best Football team, and when asked for her reasons, this is what Carol told me:

One word: "Mature" leadership. In the Superbowl, I knew that if the Bears got behind their quarterback would lack patience and that comes with maturity.

And that, in fact, is what happened. That, to my dismay, is what happened. So Carol,
you may have a point about the mature
leadership.

Because Peyton Manning is nothing if not mature, something I learned when I read an article in Sports Illustrated after the Superbowl that told how the Colts prepared for the game, and one of the preparations was that at Peyton’s request, friends and family were banned from the player’s hotel rooms the week before the game. That request did not sit well with most of the players (who are probably happy now that they won) but it was taken okay by one person who was significantly affected by it, that being Peyton’s wife.
And my reaction to that article was just what you’d expect: Peyton has a wife?

No comments: