Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Best Painting Ever

When I was a kid, I remember going to the Milwaukee Art Museum on many a field trip, and each time, I was somewhat mystified by a painting there. I was mystified because I thought "That's not art." I thought "That's nothing." I thought, "I could do that." And I saw it every single time I went there, and never understood why it was art.

This is that painting:

It's called "Red Yellow Blue II" and it's by Ellsworth Kelly.

Later, when I was reading a book -- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, if you must know -- I came across a quote that explained to me, finally, why "Red Yellow Blue II" is in an art museum. I'm not going to quote him verbatim here, but the gist of it was that things are genius because they don't seem to require genius. In a discussion about the catflap, a character pointed out that Isaac Newton discovered it and that it was genius because it makes everyone say "I could have thought of that" but they didn't.

So "Red Yellow Blue II" is an artwork that displays that particular kind of genius, the kind that makes you think "I could have done that," but you didn't.

My nomination for the Best Painting Ever is not "Red Yellow Blue II." I'm not as interested in celebrating the quiet, thoughtful kind of genius that takes 27 years to accumulate. I'm interested in celebrating the open kind of genius that demonstrates itself to you right off and makes you want to cry because it's so beautiful, and for that you need look no further than this:



Just sit and look at it for a minute. Look at the way you can see brushstrokes and the colors mixing and the stars are larger than the houses below. There is nothing about that painting that isn't perfect. It reduces its elements to their constituent parts-- you can almost see the atoms that make up the trees and the stars and the house, suggesting that we are all made of the same stuff (right, Moby?) and with the stars being that big he creates the feeling that they are close, they are looming, their beauty becomes almost overwhelming.

But what really gets me is you can see the wind. You can actually see the air flowing around the things in the picture. I don't know why that makes the picture so great, to be honest -- I'm not an art critic -- but it does.

You can't look at Starry Night without feeling the madness and pain and love of life that Van Gogh is expressing, and feel how your own life embodies that painting, too. It takes what everyone thinks of as a quiet, peaceful, beautiful thing, a starry night, and retains that quality while also showing the turbulence that surrounds us even at the quietest times. And that, my friends, is what makes it The Best Painting Ever.

6 comments:

Nina Jørgensen said...

I found this randomly, and I totaly agree with you!! Best painting ever. Makes me smile

Anonymous said...

Excеllent way of explаining, and gοоd piecе of writing to get infοгmation
on the toρiс of mу preѕentаtiοn topіc, whісh i аm
gοing tο prеsent in universіty.



Here is my wеb ѕite - used bucket truck for sale
My website :: Using A Bucket Truck

Anonymous said...

I all thе tіme еmailed this blog post page
to аll mу associateѕ, for the гeason
that if like to read it then my linkѕ ωill too.



my wеb site; tens

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanteԁ to ask іf you ever have any pгoblems with hаckers?
Ϻy laѕt blog (wordpress) was hackеd and I
ended up losing months of hard worκ due to no back up.

Do you have any solutions to ѕtop hackerѕ?


my weblog Tens Machine

Anonymous said...

Hοωdу! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's neω to mе.
Νonеtheless, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checκing back fгеquently!


My website :: tens for pain relief

Anonymous said...

I enjoу what you guys aгe usuаlly up too.
This sort of clever wогk and exρosuге!
Кeeр up the superb works guуs I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

My website; taxi coppell