Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Best Candy


Best Candy Ever? My nomination: The humble "Chick-o-Stick."

It somehow manages to improve on the Butterfinger, although it would probably be more accurate to say that the Butterfinger tried to refine the Chick-O-Stick. Any candy with peanut butter in it gets a leg up on the competition, and while I'm not crazy about candy that doesn't have some chocolate in it, Chick-O-Sticks get past that hurdle with the toasted coconut and the way they start out crunchy but become chewy like peanut butter. I've liked Chick-O-Sticks since I was a kid, when my brother and I used to ride our bikes "into town" every Saturday morning with a dollar, and go to Jackson's (a local department store that had only one floor in our small town. It was like an old-time JC Penney's) which had a nickel candy counter. We'd buy a bag of candy each -- a little white bag like you get popcorn in at the circus, ride home, and, at the end of the day, we'd pull out our bags of candy, get out our sleeping bags, and camp out in the family room. Just when you think that sounds too old-timey, I'll add that we'd watch "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert" on TV while camping out. It was the 70's, after all.

No comments: